Saturday, July 30, 2011

Block 13

Another block done, now to focus on block 12.

I know, it's a little different from the pattern, but I just couldn't put that bud/bloom floating out on its own. Then I thought I needed to draw the eye up to the top right so I added the dots. I'll have to see if the dots stay when I get all the blocks done.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Block 11

This one came together very quickly.  Once I did the reverse applique on the pot, it was a fast finish.  That's the advantage of prepping several blocks at one time, when I'm ready to stitch, it's all ready.  Now onto #13. Yes, I know, 12 comes next, but that's the wreath with all the fingerling thingies........Are these even words? :-)

Hope those of you who have summer are staying cool, or as cool as can be!

All Caught Up

I thought I'd post these here in case someone didn't see them on my blog. 
Block 16

Block 21

Block 22

I did a horrible job of centering this one! I didn't notice until it was all done.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Block 21

It has been absolute ages since you heard from me!  I have been busy with other stuff, but finally had the time to finish this block. I did not add the bird.  Decided it did not need it.  Might change my mind somewhere down the line.  The picture looks a little crooked, but that is just the way I held the camera!  Onto the next one soon......Wendy

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Block 16

Finally, all 120+ grapes are stitched down.

I'm leaving the embroidery until the end. I'm not sure if I'm going to add it on this block or not. Now to get back to blocks 11 - 15. I've got 3 prepped so there's not going to be any down time.

I am motivated to stay the course on this quilt, I want it on my bed!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A question about printing

Good morning,

I have just printed off this month's block and in order to do so I had to change the parameters of my priinter as I had just printed off another block of the Maltaville Quilt (I'm on a roll!) and it suddenly occured to me...

What parameters is everyone using to print off the BTCT patterns?

I have been using "fit to page", but with Margaret Mew's instructions for printing off the Maltaville blocks I have to use "None". I have now printed off Block 22 of BTCT using both parameters and there *is* a difference, i.e. those little flowers and circles in this month's blocks are larger!

At the end of the day I suppose it does not matter as long as all the blocks are printed using the same parameters, but interestingly, on my quilt the block on the 2nd row with all the little leaves is larger mainly because I had to use Gay's purchased pattern for that particular block. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will not have to make that one again!, but I think in future I will have to be more aware of the printing parameters.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Two more blocks completed

I have been finishing up some blocks this week and completed two more  for my version of the BTCT quilt. Initially, I was unsure about the fabric I have used for the urn. I felt it was too heavy, but it has all the colours which I am using in the quilt and when I layed the pattern over the top the design fitted just perfectly, so... but all those fingers! This block completes my first row. No photograph though I am afraid as I live in a small cottage and just do not have the floor space, so I'll take the blocks into work next week and take a photo then.

Although I did not enjoy making all those berries (and I have still got to make all those grapes!), I am pleased with the outcome. I particularly like the basket fabric which whilst it looks too contemporary, I think blends in well. It reminds me of some of the fabrics in the Julia Southgate quilt dated about 1807 and in the V & A Museum collection, so many of the fabrics in that quilt you would have thought it had been made in 2007!

I am looking forward to the next block which should be up sometime today or tonight. I am also working on my first wreath for the quilt, so hopefully I will finish stitching it during the week.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

block 20 and beyond

Block 20  is done. I really enjoyed the berries/cherries and the chainstitch embroidered stems and stayed up ridiculously late last night just to finish them off.

My eagle centrepiece is complete and I'm quite pleased with how he's turned out.  This measures twice the width/height of the other blocks.
This exuberant eagle has been taken from the cover of Crib Quilts and other Small Wonders by Thomas Woodward & Blanche Greenstein (1981). (Hmm maybe I should have got the iron out.) 

Sweetest little birds perched atop tiny trees, with the mandatory floating pot plant (as they do).

Next up and prepped ready to start today, another deviation... a super dooper Princes Feather from Bill Volckening's glorious Mary Couchman Small (1800-1863) album quilt (with permission, thanks Bill). At the moment it looks like 4 whirling Christmas stockings, but check out the original - if mine is half as gorgeous I'd be happy.